Saturday, November 15, 2008

What is it About Soup?

When I set out to start this blog, it was a little bit of an experiment. Although I have been niche blogging for three years, I wanted to see what the outcome of a micro-niche blog would be. Micro-niche is sort of a funny term for a blog about soup. While it is one topic, there are so many types of soup that it's near mind-boggling. Which, of course, is where the title of this blog came from.

The response to this blog has been overwhelming. It took three years to see the kind of traffic and comments on Cooking with Anne that I've witnessed here in just 3 days' time. I think it's terrific and hope that it continues, but not for me - for my readers. It's so fulfilling to offer something that others like.

I don't think it has anything to do with the author, either; I think it has to do with the love of soup.

Why do people love soup so much? I have a few reasons for my own love, and I bet they're similar to many, but I would enjoy knowing what everyone else feels about this single food.

My love of soup is part thrift, part laziness and part flavor-related. Many of the soups I've made over the years were made simply for the fact that it was the easiest way to stretch whatever ingredients I had on-hand to feed our large family. Sometimes soup was the fastest way to dinner. And sometimes soup was the only thing that would fill the bill; There is no other flavor like French Onion Soup or Veal Blanquette - no matter how you deconstruct it.

I hope to make this a very long-lasting endeavor. I honestly do aspire to share a thousand soups, because I know there are that many out there; but more than anything, I hope to fill my readers' appetites with delicious and wonderful soups.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

What a great idea for a blog! I see many soups here I will definitely try throughout the winter.