Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Chicken Stew


Stew is so satisfying that it's hard to believe how simple it is to make. This version doesn't take a long time to cook, either, so it's perfect for any night of the week.

Chicken Stew
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

2 pounds chicken breast chunks
flour to coat chicken
2 Tablespoons oil
8 cups chicken stock
6 large potatoes, cut into large cubes
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
1/2 pound baby carrots, peeled
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper


1. Coat chicken chunks in flour.
2. Heat a heavy soup pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and chicken.
3. Brown chicken lightly and add remaining ingredients.
4. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
* Adding this in here - you may want to thicken at the end with a simple water/flour slurry or Beurre Manier - to desired thickness, no real formula.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did I ever miss this blog? We have homemade soup every day - except in the hottest part of the summer. And I'm always looking for new recipes. I'll be back.

Natalia said...

I followed the link from Brandi's blog, who said it's her friend Anne- are you Anne from LOK? Can't find any info on the blog- if you are, how are you doing? And how can I find your other blogs? Haven't seen you around for a long time, miss your posts. I put up a request on LOK for LOK regulars' blog addresses as I lost my bookmarks; would like to keep up with people better.

Natalia

Oh, btw I am going to LOVE this soup blog - it's my favourite thing to make!

Anne Coleman said...

Cas - you didn't miss it! I just made it public today.

Natalia, yep - it's me. I forgot to link my own blog lol Need to go do that now. Thanks for stopping in!