Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Split Pea and Sausage Soup


I love split pea soup. It's basic, easy to make, thrifty and just plain good. I usually add ham to mine or at least a ham hock while it's cooking. This time I used up some bulk sausage I had and it was really a delicious move. I don't think pea soup is right without marjoram added to it, so I am generous when adding it.

Split Pea and Sausage Soup
Serves 6-8
Printable Recipe

2 tablespoons neutral oil - such as vegetable or canola
1 pound bulk country sausage
4 green onions - sliced (aka spring onions or scallions)
1 pound green split peas - rinsed and picked over
1 cup diced carrot
4 cups water
4 cups stock - chicken or vegetable is best
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
salt to taste

1. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil and add sausage, breaking up as it cooks.
2. When sausage has cooked through add green onion and cook for several minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add remaining ingredients and cook until peas are soft, about 45 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaf before serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this a couple nights ago and it's fabulous! I will use 1/2 pound of sausage next time, but the flavor is awesome and I love not having to dig up a ham hock... I have sausage on hand most of the time. Thank you for this fabulous blog! I love soup and love having a fun place to check for more ideas!

Unknown said...

This sounds great, you can probably use chicken sausage to make it lower in fat.