Monday, November 10, 2008

Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup


Four major ingredients make one delicious soup. Your house may smell a little like walking into a polish grandmother's kitchen, but it's worth it.


Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup
Serves 6-8
Printable Recipe

1 medium onion - thinly sliced
1 pound kielbasa - sliced thin
6 cups cabbage - thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
2 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
8 cups beef broth

Saute onions with kielbasa until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until cabbage is tender, 30 - 45 minutes. Remove bay leaf and cloves before serving.

8 comments:

Adopted Son said...

OK- this sounds amazing. But I'm not sure about the cloves bit. Are they necessary? Would I miss them if I didn't use them?

Anne Coleman said...

You can definitely omit the cloves. I love choucroute garni and there are cloves in that- it's similar to cabbage and pork. The cloves add a depth you don't get from anything else.

kbabe1968 said...

Could you crock-pot this? Like saute kielbasa & onion and toss it in the crockpot with the rest and walk away?

Anne Coleman said...

Kbabe, I think that would be perfect! Better, actually.

Adopted Son said...

So we did this for dinner last night- we skipped the cloves as we didn't have any. It was VERY good. Although, we think we might try it with chicken broth for a slightly lighter taste.

monicajane said...

I just made this now with organic chicken sausages which have their own particular flavoring, since I don't think you can find organic kielbasa...in any case it turned out very delicious...I threw in a bit of celery seed and omitted the cloves.

It's not the same soup without the kielbasa but I appreciated the inspiration...

very nice site you've got here. I love soup and usually make it off the top of my head...this helps the process of coming up with ideas.

thanks

Anne Coleman said...

Hi, Monica - I make soup the same way - so this blog has been a stretch for me, but a good one! Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!