Sunday, November 9, 2008

Pierogi Chowder


We really love pierogies here; pierogi casserole, fried pierogies, steamed pierogies, pierogies smothered in numerous toppings. I came up with this soup as a result of that love and it's fantastic, if I do say so myself.


Pierogi Chowder
Serves 6-8
Printable Recipe

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
8 cups water
3 cups diced potato
2 cups instant potato flakes
2 cups milk
1/2 pound American cheese - shredded or cubed
6 ounces wide egg noodles - cooked until tender
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat and add oil. Toss in onion and cook until translucent.
2. Add water and diced potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender - about 20 minutes.
3. When potatoes are tender, mash until broken up well.
4. Add potato flakes and stir well.
5. Pour in milk and stir until smooth.
6. Stir in American cheese and mix until cheese is melted.
7. Blend in drained noodles and add salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Chaotically Calm said...

Now this looks awesome and very hearty. I am going to forward your site to my Mom. She and my brother love to cook on Sundays, hopefully with a little nudging this lovely will be on the list. Great site!

Adopted Son said...

Can we do this side-by-side with the kielbasa and cabbage soup? I mean, pierogis go perfectly with kielbasa...