Friday, November 7, 2008

Meatball and Tortellini Soup


I've come across quite a few variations of this soup, but I really like this one. It's a bit like Italian Wedding soup and Tortellini Soup all in one. Make your own meatballs, if you'd like, the frozen ones just make this really quick.


Meatball and Tortellini Soup
Printable Recipe
Serves 6-8

10 cups chicken stock
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 pound frozen meatballs
8 ounces dry tortellini
1 cup diced carrot
1 pound frozen spinach
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Combine everything except Parmesan cheese in a large soup pot and simmer until tortellini is tender. Toss in Parmesan and stir well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne, this looks so awesome I just have to try it... question, though, can I make it in a crock pot? Set it up mid day and just let it simmer until dinner?

Thanks - Great site BTW!

Anne Coleman said...

Hi, Troy - thank you!

You know, I wouldn't do it. When I've over-simmered this soup before, the tortellini falls apart. If you can do all of it except the tortellini and then add it for the last hour of cooking, you may be OK. You can also cook the tortellini separately and add it in to the crockpot for the last 30 minutes or so to reheat it. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Anne! I think I'll give it a shot by adding the tortellini in the last 30 minutes. I'll let you know how it works.

The Zandi Zoo said...

This is going on our menu for the upcoming week. Yum!

Did I mention that I love that you started a soup blog?? ;-) I am always looking for soup recipes.

Anne Coleman said...

Brandi - I have leftovers in the freezer! I'd mail them to you if I could ;)

Anonymous said...

Anne, the soup was a huge hit! - It turned out so good that my wife took it to work for lunch! I didn't try the crock pot on this one (ran out of time - too many errands).

Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

I'm going to try to crockpot this next week - and I'm going to use fresh/frozen tortellini instead of dried. I'll let you know how it works! :D I'm going to do the soup/meatball part and add the tortellini 1/2 hour at the end. :D