Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Egg Roll Soup


Egg Roll Soup
Egg Roll Soup
It's no secret by now that I am fond of de-constructing foods and putting them into soup form. Check out Pierogi Chowder and Philly Cheesesteak Soup to get an idea for what I do. I think egg rolls are one of the best foods ever and I had it in my head for some time to make a soup resembling one.

This soup is to-die-for! I mean it. It tastes exactly like the egg rolls I make and the crisp egg roll wrapper strips are so good the kids ate a tray of them without anything else. You can buy fried noodles if you wish, but there is no comparison to the ones made with egg roll wrappers. They are thinner and crispier than the store-bought ones.

There are very few ingredients here, but the flavor is huge. No need for added salt, the soy sauce and stock handle that end very well.


Egg Roll Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 8

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for frying
2 pounds boneless pork ribs - sliced thin (chicken is fine, too)
4 garlic cloves - minced
1 small head cabbage - shredded (about 6 cups)
2 small carrots - shredded (about 1 cup)
1 small bunch green onions - sliced (about 1/2 cup)
8 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce - plus more for serving
10 egg roll wrappers cut into thin strips

1. Heat oil in a large soup pot and saute pork until no longer pink.
2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
3. Toss in remaining ingredients (except egg roll wrappers) and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until vegetables are soft.
5. Meanwhile, cook strips of egg roll wrapper in hot oil in small batches until browned and crisp. This only takes a minute or so per batch.
6. Drain well on paper toweling.
7. When soup is done, ladle into bowls and top with fried egg roll wrappers and extra soy sauce, if needed.

9 comments:

Chocolate Shavings said...

Sounds delicious!

ali @ gimme some oven said...

Love this idea! I'll have to give your recipe a try! :)

Unknown said...

Brilliant idea! I can't wait to make this for me and my daughters. We're salivating!

Clorissasue said...

I made this yesterday changing a few things to make it like I make egg rolls at home. It was SO very good. My hubby had it left over for lunch today and says its better the second day.

I will make this SO often its not funny! So much easier than rolling out all those egg rolls, and it DOES taste JUST like an eggroll!!!

Anne Coleman said...

Clorie - I'm so glad you liked it! I agree - I had it the next day for breakfast ;) and it was awesome!

Angie's Recipes said...

The soup looks and sounds very good...pour over a bowl of stir-fried rice...mmmm delicious.

Anonymous said...

That sounds lovely and delish :) I like your soup experiments :)

cassie-b said...

That sounds really good. I have everything except the egg roll wrappers. I'll be making this one soon. We have soup just about every day - year round. I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks!

Mrsblocko said...

I made this soup and wrote about it here. I can't get over how much it tastes like an egg roll in soup form. I will be making this soup again! Thank you for sharing your recipe.