Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Reuben Soup


One of my favorite sandwiches has always been the Reuben. To me, the ultimate grilled cheese includes Swiss, even though the rest of my family rails and refuses to eat it.

This soup can easily go far overboard in the sodium arena, so care in rinsing the sauerkraut is vital. I also purchase the bagged variety of sauerkraut as it seems less salty. Using homemade beef stock before any salt has been added, or low-to-no sodium beef stock is also important. Season as needed at the end of cooking.

You can always put a rye crouton on top of the soup bowls, add the cheese and broil until melted, but I chose to cook the croutons with cheese separately and the result was just as good.

Of course, I made this first and then searched the web for similar soups and it seems that 'creamy Reuben soup' is the big thing out there. I like to stay true to flavors and be a little different, anyway - and this was something everyone liked - except for the cheese.

Reuben Soup
Printable Recipe
Ready In: 35 minutes
Serves: 8

1 pound deli sliced corned beef - chopped
2 pounds sauerkraut - rinsed well and drained
10 cups beef stock or low-sodium beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (omit if using rye bread with seeds)
8 slices rye bread (seeded or seedless if fine - see above)
8 ounces Swiss cheese - shredded
1 cup Thousand Island dressing

1. In a large soup pot, heat to boiling the stock, sauerkraut and corned beef. Reduce to a simmer, add bay leaf and caraway seeds, if using. Cook for 30 minutes.
2. While soup is cooking, heat broiler and spread one side of rye slices with 1 Tablespoon Thousand Island dressing each. Broil until golden brown.
3. Turn bread and spread the other side with 1 Tablespoon Thousand Island dressing each. Top with 1 ounce shredded Swiss cheese for each slice and broil until melted and bubbly.
4. Ladle soup into bowls and top with hot croutons. Top each with an extra dollop of dressing, if desired.

4 comments:

Elle said...

I love this! Reubens are a favorite of mine, too-but never thought of having them this way. Genius! And perfect for the cold days!

Unknown said...

This is great! I'll share with my son named Reuben. No I didn't name him after a sandwich...

Indu said...

OMG, A blog dedicated for soups. Unbelievable. Lovely blog. Have you posted a lot of vegetarian soups here?
Indu

Unknown said...

I just stumbled on your blog, and it's got so many great recipes! When my husband and I saw this one we both grew wide-eyed with delight! Can't wait to make it!!!