Friday, April 23, 2010

Chilled Vegetable Soup


Close to Gazpacho, but with a few subtle differences, this soup is refreshing and full of flavor. Even my 3 year-old couldn't stop eating it.

Rather than puree as the gazpacho is made, I've left the vegetables in tiny little chunks. I like the bite to it and the allspice adds a depth of flavor that I really love.

Chilled Vegetable Soup
Printable Recipe
Ready In: 30 minutes
Serves: 4

1 small cucumber
1 small zucchini
2 ribs celery
1/2 small Spanish onion
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
2 green onions - white and green parts
2 medium tomatoes - peeled, seeded and diced
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegetable stock or water
1 clove garlic
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon freshly snipped dill
1 Tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Extra vegetables and herbs for garnish

Peel, seed and cut all vegetables into very fine dice (first 8 ingredients). Toss together in a large bowl.
Stir together tomato paste and water or stock and add to veggies. Toss in all seasonings (last 6 ingredients) and stir until well combined. Chill overnight or for at least 4 hours so flavors will blend. Serve with reserved chopped veggies and herbs
on top.

5 comments:

monicajane said...

that looks great though I would call that a gazpacho...

in my experience they aren't always pureed...

I made one sort of like this last summer...with the chunks...

I seem not to have transferred it to my new blog which means I'll do that and look like I have a new post!

was going to share it with you...but now you'll have to wait...

seeing this made me want some too!! maybe i'll just make it again

Anne Coleman said...

Hi, MJ! Whoops on my part - I didn't mean all gazpacho's - I meant the one I'd already posted!

We made one in school for the restaurant that was close to this one. I love zucchini, though, and had to add it.

monicajane said...

I did go ahead and post mine from last year...it's fun to see how they are different...

they look somewhat similar...though I didn't use zucchini and I like that...

I threw mine together on the fly at the time with what was in the garden and/or kitchen...

http://naturalwholefoodrecipes.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/gazpacho-soup-getting-into-the-spirit-of-summer-a-little-early/

I like your use of lemon instead of vinegar, but I love the tartness of vinegar too...

want to try it both ways this year!

Magic of Spice said...

I love vegetable soups, sounds very good!

Elysa said...

Made this tonight for the family: we LOVED it! I didn't have any dill, so I doubled the parsley. I also added cooked quinoa to increase the protein content.
Next time I'll lightly pulse it in the food processor and save the half hour of dicing veggies, but it was absolutely fabulous!