Monday, April 19, 2010

Chili Cheese Dog Soup


One of America's favorite foods is the chili dog. In my family, it's the chili cheese dog. The kids loved this soup - minced onions and all. The bowl in the photo is garnished with ketchup, mustard and cheese, but you can add any condiment you usually like on your hot dog.

Chili Cheese Dog Soup
Printable Recipe
Ready In: 30 minutes
Serves: 6

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion - minced
1 pound lean ground beef
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 packet Goya Sazon with cilantro (orange packet)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 clove garlic - minced
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups beef stock
1 pound all beef hot dogs - cut into thin slices.
2 cups shredded cheddar

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat and add oil.
Cook onion in oil until translucent. Add beef and cook until browned. Drain excess oil.
Add in tomato paste and seasonings. Stir until well combined.
Pour in stock and stir well. Add hot dogs and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in cheese until smooth.
Serve topped with ketchup, mustard, cheese, onions, relish or any other hot dog condiment you like!

2 comments:

Chef E said...

Oh you just brought back memories of my childhood. I was not much of a bread eater, so I often took ingredients like this and ate it as a meal...love it!

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Annie, You should add this. I love it! Today I was at the store and I snuck a piece of sausage from the demo guy. It smelled so good that I just followed my nose. I wanted to buy if but Joe was coming over to see what I was doing. Same old chicken and shrimp. I need meat I tell you! :D