Monday, December 15, 2008

Fennel and Chicken Soup


I love this soup for its simplicity. Once this was done, I knew I'd come up with yet another soup that would be on the top of my favorites list. There are so few ingredients, and yet the flavors blend together so well that nobody will know that it didn't take hours to achieve it.

Fennel and Chicken Soup
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as an appetizer
Printable Recipe

1 large bulb fennel - without leaves or stems
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup cooked chicken breast - diced small
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

1. Cut fennel in quarters - lengthwise - and remove hard core.
2. Slice fennel into thin strips.
3. Bring stock to a simmer and add fennel. Cook until fennel is tender - 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Add chicken and cream - simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Thicken with beurre manier*. Simmer for several minutes to cook out any flour taste before serving.

*Note- Beurre Manier is French for "kneaded butter". It consists of equal parts four to butter. Combine flour and butter and knead until well combined. Add a small amount at a time to a simmering liquid and whisk until smooth. Add more as needed.

3 comments:

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

I needed a recipe with fennel in it!

Anonymous said...

What a delightful combination! (Especially with the cream...yum!)
~Holly from SustainableSuppers.com

monicajane said...

mmm...I've just completed my version of this soup...been wanting to make it since you first posted it but I kept forgetting to buy the fennel.

As I always do things my own way yours was an inspiration...

I used 2 lbs of chicken and boiled it in vegetable stock (that's what I had on hand)

Then I put in two very large bulbs of fennel as you directed while the chicken cooled so I could cut it up later.

then I actually made a light rue of sorts with half and half, butter and rye flour (yes, rye, as I'm allergic to wheat) probably about 3 cups of rue. (added salt and lots of pepper)

then cut up all the chicken and mixed all the stuff together...very, very delicious...

thanks again for another hit...

I'm really thinking about doing my own cooking blog!!

anyway this is the second hit you've inspired in my kitchen..the first being the cabbage and sausage soup...thanks very much!!