Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Soupa Avgolemono


Soupa Avgolemono is one of the most basic soups there is. The Greeks were downright brilliant when they came up with this one. My mother used to make this when I was a child, her recipe having come from either the Bozakis' or the Zanikos', no real idea which family.

Mom always made it with orzo, but this version has rice in it just because I didn't have orzo on-hand. I like mine rather lemony so I use a third cup of fresh lemon juice as opposed to the more standard 3 tablespoons. I also don't like too much rice or pasta, so the amount there is a bit lower than most.


Soupa Avgolemono
Printable Recipe
Ready in 25 minutes
Serves 4

6 cups good quality chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked rice
2 large eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste

Bring broth to a boil and add rice. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender. (Less time for pasta).
Whisk together eggs and lemon juice in a small bowl. Pour in a ladleful of hot stock very slowly, whisking all the while, to temper the eggs so they will not beome scrambled eggs when added into the soup.
Pour into the soup, whisking as you do, and cook for several minutes, stirring constantly.
Salt and pepper to taste.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds very appetizing. Already I tried your pasta dish and came out fabulous even without real chicken. Will have to try this one with veggie stock. Meanwhile come check out a little thing I have for you on my blog

Unknown said...

This is wonderful and I will definitely be making this again (and again). I did add a little fresh oregano as I had some in the garden and it seemed to add another element to it.The only problem I had is that the soup seemed to separate a little-despite gradually whisking in some of the hot broth(which I had actually allowed to cool a bit).I don't think it detracted from the flavor however.

Chef E said...

Wow, I have never heard of this soup, and I am soup crazy, so this is going to get made very soon...going to look around your site...

Erica said...

This soup sounds delicious!!!You have great recipes here.

Unknown said...

I havent known that there are so many varieties to soup. I just know that it taste good here....mmmm :)