Thursday, December 10, 2009

Egg Drop Soup


This has got to be one of the easiest soups known to man. With 3 basic ingredients (2 if you're my husband) and very little time, you can whip this up as an accompaniment to a larger meal or serve as a light lunch by itself.

Egg Drop Soup
Total Time: 10 minutes

4 cups chicken stock
2 eggs - beaten
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
salt to taste
powdered ginger - optional
green onion tops - sliced thinly - optional for garnish
soy sauce - optional - for garnish

1. Bring stock to a boil - add a bit of ginger if you like.
2. Mix cornstarch with 4 Tablespoons water and stir until smooth.
3. Pour cornstarch into stock - whisking constantly - until thickened.
4. Stir the thickened stock in one direction and pour the eggs into the swirling liquid so that they cook into thin ribbons.
5. Salt to taste and ladle into bowls. Add green onion and soy sauce to the top of each bowl, if desired.

4 comments:

Miss Sarcasm said...

Oh man, this is my favortie soup! Thanks for posting it :)

monicajane said...

I just made this and it took less than 10 minutes.

I have always loved this soup and get it every chance I can at Chinese restaurants...I always thought about attempting to make it at home but wasn't sure how to do it...

Anyway, I didn't have cornstarch so I used flour and it still turned out very nice, though the cornstarch is absolutely more authentic and the flour does change the texture, but not in a bad way, I thought.

I also added tamari at the end and red pepper flakes as that is how I eat it in restaurants too...

thanks so much...easy is right!! and delicious...

I will put this on my blog too but it may be a while...I have a back log right now.

thanks again, so much.

Mhel said...

I love egg drop soup. Its easy and yummy. I usually order this in Chinese Restaurants. Have you tasted Chinese Bird's Nest Soup. It's close to egg drop soup... Also yummy and exotic.... U

raf said...

Wonder why I haven't found your great site befor now. Soups are the best......anytime!