Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Caldo Verde from The Un-Constipated Gourmet

For the full story on The Un-Constipated Gourmet, check out my other blog, Cooking with Anne.

This soup was so good and so simple it was really hard to believe there was so much flavor from so few ingredients. It's quick to make and disappears from bowls even quicker!

I had a photo for this - a very pretty one - but my hard-drive died just after the photos were uploaded from my camera. I haven't had a chance to make this again, but I will soon and I'll get a new photo then.

Caldo Verde
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter

1 1/2 pounds kale or Swiss chard
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
4 large garlic cloves, sliced
4-5 cups chicken stock
8 ounces spicy chorizo - sliced thin
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash kale; strip leaves from stalk; chop leaves; discard stalks.
Place potatoes and garlic in large soup pot. Pour stock over and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are soft. Without burning yourself, mash potatoes in broth. Add kale and sausage to soup. Simmer another 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Recipe reprinted with permission from Sourcebooks Inc.

3 comments:

gundex90 said...

i like your recipes
thank for your information

Velva said...

This is proof that simple is best! Great recipe.

Unknown said...

being Portuguese of course I absolutely Love this recipe. The best part of this recipe is that there actually are thousands of different ways to make this soup. For the chourico do check out: http://www.amarals.com/ where you can buy traditional Portuguese chourico