Monday, March 30, 2009

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup


Reminiscent of pho, I find this soup just as satisfying with far less work. There are versions all over the 'net and in countless cookbooks. I like my own version, packed with bok choy, sno peas and rice noodles.

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
Printable Recipe
Serves 4

4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 clove garlic - minced
2 Tablespoons mirin
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
4 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup fresh cilantro - chopped
4 large green onions - sliced thinly
12 ounces cooked chicken breast - diced
2 cups bok choy - chopped (I like more green than white)
4 ounces sno peas - each cut in half
8 ounces rice noodles - soaked for 15 minutes in cold water

1. In a large stock or soup pot add stock, garlic, mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
2. Add remaining ingredients and continue simmering until bok choy is just tender - about 15 minutes (I like mine to have a little bite left to it).

6 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

This looks perfect- exactly the sort of soup I would make if it were just me for dinner!

Kristen said...

yummy, that does look delicious!

Together We Save said...

Looks yummy. I wish I was a better cook.

Cucinista said...

Thanks for a great looking recipe. I love pho, but have always been put off by the prep. This looks easy and tasty.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sounds delicious!! very good for cold to weather indeed! Add some Poloku mushroom seasoning (www.poloku.us)to the soup, or to just any soups, will give super delicious umami that is also very satisfaying. Look forward to trying out your recipe one of these cold days :))