Monday, December 29, 2008

Guest Post: Caramelised Root Vegetable Soup





Annie bumped her head and decided that it was a good idea for me to write a guest post for her, how daft! Keeping it as seasonal as I can,I am writing up the recipe that I used for my Christmas day soup.

Sorry but the measurements are not in American, Annie will have to translate....

Caramelised Root Vegetable Soup
Serves 4 (ish) Cooking time : 40 minutes ish.
Printable Recipe

1 medium potato, diced. optional
2 sweet potatoes (or 1 turnip and 1 swede), diced.
2 medium carrots, diced.
1 medium red onion (or 1 leek), sliced.
1 parsnip, diced.
2 sticks of celery, diced. optional
426ml (3/4 pint) vegetable stock.
25 g (1 oz) butter.
1 tablespoon honey.
salt and freshly ground black pepper (or cupboard stuff).
1 teaspoon ground Chilli (or 1/2 fresh red chilli) optional.
1 teaspoon ground Cumin optional.


  • Add a little oil to pan so vegetables don't stick, then add all celery, parsnip and onion. Followed by half the carrot and sweet potato. If using potato, just add half of it at this stage. If using swede, just add half the swede at this stage. If using turnip, add all of it at this stage. If using Leek, add all of it at this stage.

  • After sweating the vegetables for a few minutes add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.

  • Blend until smooth and keep to one side.

  • Melt the butter in a pan, add the remaining sweet potato and carrot. If using swede, add the rest here. Same goes for potato.

  • Gently cook until lightly browned.

  • Add the honey and allow to caramelise on a medium heat for 7 minutes.

  • Add to the blended soup and season with salt and pepper (optional cumin and chilli).

  • Stir well and serve.

  • Optionally you can blend it further at this stage, if you prefer a smoother soup.

  • For extra naughtiness, I add cream at this stage, if your in the UK use about half a carton of elmlea single cream.

  • Eat it.





Oh just in case you dont know this is a Swede


This has caused confusion before, read here This is a bloody swede.

5 comments:

crpitt said...

Wow I think this is the best recipe you have ever posted......

I hope everyone understands it, if not, leave me questions here :)

Claire aka amateur soup maker

Busy Bear said...

I hear this is delicious! Think I might have a go at it! :)

Michele said...

Swede is one of fave veggies. Unfortunately no one else in my house will go near the stuff. I bet this soup would win them over. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hello. Just for North Americans, and in case no one clicks on the "This is a bloody Swede" link, Swedes are usually called Rutabagas here, although growing up in AZ I never saw a rutabagas ever, not until I moved to Eastern Canada!

Reese said...

I'm going to have to try this one!