Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cool and Creamy Cucumber and Tomato Soup


Cucumber and Tomato Soup
Cool and Creamy Cucumber and Tomato Soup

Tomatoes are my very favorite food and this is another soup that is just plain good. Creamy and full of just-picked flavor, it's the perfect thing on a hot day.

It goes together quickly and easily with the use of a blender - no heat required! Choose an herb that you really enjoy, I like dill with the sour cream and cucumber in this, but basil would be lovely, too. Sriracha would also be excellent stirred into each serving. Use very ripe and fresh tomatoes for the best flavor.

Cool and Creamy Cucumber and Tomato Soup
Printable Recipe
Ready in 15 minutes
Serves 4 as a starter

6 large or 8 medium ripe plum tomatoes - peeled and seeded
3 medium cucumbers - peeled and seeded
1 small bunch green onions - tops and whites
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup sour cream (I like Mexican crema for this)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 Tablespoon freshly snipped dill plus more for garnish (or whichever herb you like)

Pop everything into a blender and puree until smooth. Chill for several hours if desired or serve as-is topped with extra herbs and sliced green onion.

4 comments:

Chef E said...

I saw this on your Facebook, and thought wow hubby is going away, I am making some cool creamy soups while he is a way, since he prefers chunky'er versions...hey I had the best crab and dill cheese soup, OMG'd was it good!

Serena said...

Hello, What an interesting cold soup. I love cucumbers and tomatoes and the addition of dill is a great choice.

I also featured the soup as a part of my Friday soup links.

http://seriouslysoupy.blogspot.com/2010/07/cool-and-chilled-soup-links.html

Cheers!

Antônio Araújo said...

Amazing work... God bless you!

Magic of Spice said...

I really love this combination, and the cucumber is just so refreshing for summer :)