Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Potato Soup Without Guilt


A Twitter follower recently asked if I had a recipe for low fat potato soup. I think my answer was a fairly vague one that had something to do with using the potatoes as a thickener. I think he understood what I meant, but just in case he didn't, I took notes when making this one today.

Not all potato soup is chowder and likewise, they aren't all vichyssoise. This one is a sort of blend of those two. I had extra cooked new potatoes today after using them for another recipe and I also had leftover green onions. I took one look at them and decided they would become soup.

This soup was a total of 3 ingredients - really. The only fat to consider is the fat contained in the stock, which was chicken this time. The trick is in the method - which calls for gently mashing the potatoes in the stock to create the perfect 'creamy' consistency without the cream. You also need a really rich stock to pull this off without having to add extra seasonings. The stock I had today was so good there wasn't even a need for salt.

Potato Soup Without Guilt
Printable Recipe
Ready In: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6

Ingredients:

6 cups chicken stock (do a quick vegan with veggie stock)
1 pound red potatoes, cooked, peeled and diced
1/2 cup sliced green onion

Directions:

1. Pour stock into a 2 quart pot. Add potatoes and green onion.
2 Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Roughly mash potatoes so soup is thick and creamy but still has chunks of potato in it. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve.

3 comments:

Steve Richards said...

Anne, you ROCK!
Thanks again.
-steve (trainwreckradio)
Rochester, MN

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

Mmmmmmm, love potatoes, love soup & no guilt? Definitely a win/win! Thanks for sharing:)
Stephanie

Alisa said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing this recipe! hope you could drop by at our site http://www.foodista.com/blog